From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why are gentoo people so in love with colorized output?!?
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 15:50:07
1 On Thursday 05 April 2007 20:07, Tony Stohne wrote:
2 > Mick said the following on 2007-04-05 19:07:
3 > | ...
4 > | Hmm, neither less not cat give me color output. Passing --color=y to
5 >
6 > either
7 >
8 > | tells me things like:
9 > | ==============================
10 > | There is no color=y option ("less --help" for help)
11 > | ==============================
12 > |
13 > | I also tried --color but it's all still shown in black & white. How
14 >
15 > do you
16 >
17 > | pipe a file and get it to show in color? Am I missing something in
18 > | my .bashrc or elsewhere?
19 >
20 > To make less interpret color escape sequences, you need the -R option.
21 > export LESS=-R in your shell startup script and you-ll have it as
22 > default. Generally, you don't want to use less -r, which allows
23 > arbitrary control characters through to affect the terminal (which tend
24 > to create major garbage).
25 >
26 > Color is added via ANSI escape sequences, which don't work in all
27 > displays/terminals/consoles, but as an example: grep is smart enough to
28 > detect this and won't use color (even when specified) if you're sending
29 > the output via a pipeline. Otherwise, if you piped the output, eg to
30 > less, the ANSI escape sequences would send garbage to the screen.
31 >
32 > ~ If, on the other hand, that's really what you want to do (without the
33 > garbage), there's a workaround:
34 >
35 > use the --color=always to force it through and call less with the -R
36 > flag (which prints ALL RAW control characters). That way, the color
37 > codes will escape correctly and you'll page through screens of text with
38 > your matched patterns in full color:
39 >
40 > grep --color=always "regexp" the_file_you_want_to_wade_through | less -R
41 >
42 > That should do the trick :)
43
44 Thank you Tony,
45
46 That's good. It shows the regexp in colour and makes it easy to find amidst
47 the text. However, what I had in mind was many different colours, like I can
48 see e.g. in vim? Is such a thing possible with cat or less?
49
50 BTW, I had alias less="less -r" in my .bashrc, but changed to -R as suggested.
51
52 Happy Easter to All!
53 --
54 Regards,