From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Allow non root users to edit files owned by root?
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 18:55:01
1 On 2011-12-22 1:00 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > On 12/22/2011 05:44 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >> On 2011-12-20 12:19 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
4 >>> If you allow someone to edit root owned files, you're practically giving
5 >>> him root access.
6 >>
7 >> Well, yeah, but only on those defined files...
8 >
9 > root access is global. You can't limit it. root is root, the all
10 > powerful Unix being. Period :-)
11
12 Ummm... then what is the purpose of sudo??
13
14 If I add the following line to sudoers:
15
16 %sudoroot ALL=(root)NOPASSWD:/bin/chmod /var/www/localhost/htdocs/*
17
18 Are you saying that this does NOT limit anyone in the sudoroot group to
19 *only* be able to run the chmod command, and only on files located in
20 /var/www/localhost/htdocs?
21
22 > Then you put the files in a special group and make them g+w, and add the
23 > affected users to that group. Then they will able to write to those
24 > files. If you want to give them write access to a whole directory, you
25 > put the directory in the group and make it g+w. This is how it's
26 > traditionally been done in Unix for ages, and it's extremely easy to set
27 > up.
28
29 Yeah, I think I got a little tunnel vision trying to do this with sudo.