From: Alexander Puchmayr <alexander.puchmayr@×××××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Would a Thinkpad X200 be too much trouble too run gentoo on?
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 12:15:27
1 Am Donnerstag, 21. April 2022, 14:49:24 CEST schrieb Dex Conner:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 >
4 > So I've found a Thinkpad X200 online and I'm thinking of buying it for
5 > libreboot purposes. Do you think the P8600 cpu can handle all the
6 > compiling on gentoo? For the record, I don't have any of the "big stuff"
7 > like KDE, GNOME, Firefox (all I have is Tor Browser [which I don't
8 > compile], dwl and some terminal programs like neomutt and profanity).
9 > Surely, I wouldn't be spending 5 hours to do small upgrades,
10 > right?..right?
13 Do you have some more powerful machine in the background? If yes, you can
14 either create binary packages on this machine and only install them on your
15 laptop, or use distcc for moving the big compilation tasks to this other
16 machine.
17 Using binary packages, I can still use a Lenovo SL510, which seems to have
18 similar properties regarding CPU and RAM than the X200, with all desktop
19 programs, including full KDE/plasma, Firefox, libreoffice, etc.
20
21 Alex