From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Kernel did not finding root partition
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 18:06:26
1 On Tuesday 30 May 2017 14:08:08 Raphael MD wrote:
2 > Thank you all, for the help until now.
3 >
4 > I didn't solve my problem yet, but I realised some troubles and mistakes
5 > that I've being made.
6 >
7 > First I'll divide those problematic situations I've suffered:
8 >
9 > 1.I was using Genkernel to configure and build the kernel, but Genkernel’s
10 > menuconfig doesn’t work like make menuconfig. Genkernel replace my .config
11 > everytime I run genkernel –menuconfig all, with this, I my .config has lost
12 > XFS build-in, because default Genkernel .config has setted XFS as a module.
13
14 I don't use genkernel myself, but in capable hands can be a quick process
15 compared to manual kernel configuration and installation. You probably did
16 not read this guide which should help you build what you need:
17
18 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Genkernel
21 > 2. I’m using rEFInd, installed from Windows 10, I’ll need dual boot. Now I
22 > understand that rEFInd can substitute GRUB, but I’ve read a lots of wikis,
23 > and it became a little bit confusing. Based on wikis I’ve configured my
24 > kernel with EFI stub thinking that is necessary to boot with GRUB only
25 > because UEFI.
26
27 rEFInd is a fine tool, if you need to multiboot. I don't know what wikis you
28 may have read, but here you go:
29
30 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Refind
33 > 3. GRUB has booted my kernel, but this EFI Stub’s over-configured kernel,
34 > maybe has complicated the situation with GRUB. (I've only supposed that).
35 >
36 > Expose that, or I configure kernel to use GRUB or rEFInd.
37
38 You can use either rEFInd or GRUB. It does not make sense to use both, unless
39 you enjoy slowing your boot process by chainloading one boot manager after
40 another.
41
42 If for some reason you want to use GRUB, then have a read here:
43
44 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2
47 > I’m leaned to use on rEFInd, but I suffered to create initramfs with
48 > gernkernel once, in fact I do not like genkernel at all.
49
50 Genkernel will create an initramfs for you and some people use genkernel
51 mainly for this reason alone. Have a read here to get some grounding on
52 initramfs:
53
54 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Initramfs/Guide
55
56 and here to use dracut as an alternative initramfs builder application:
57
58 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Dracut
59
60 HTH.