From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Seamonkey automatic email download after switch to Oauth2
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2022 11:57:51
1 On Friday, 3 June 2022 09:53:22 BST Michael wrote:
2 > On Friday, 3 June 2022 02:45:11 BST Dale wrote:
3 > > Howdy,
4 > >
5 > > Early this morning Seamonkey could no longer fetch emails. It wouldn't
6 > > accept the username and password. I did some searching and it seems
7 > > that Google is disabling plain text username and password. Honestly,
8 > > sounds like a good idea really. During my searches, most recommended
9 > > OAuth2 so I switched to it.
10 >
11 > Err ... perhaps not? The use of a browser to delegate sign on is not
12 > necessarily a good idea, because it introduces layers of complication and
13 > with it potential vulnerabilities. Random explainer here:
14 >
15 > https://medium.com/securing/what-is-going-on-with-oauth-2-0-and-why-you-shou
16 > ld-not-use-it-for-authentication-5f47597b2611
17 >
18 > I recall some IMAP4 devs complaining about it, but Google pushed on
19 > regardless. From the end of May if you want to login to Gmail you have no
20 > option but to use OAuth2. I expect this will break some users login if they
21 > have not disabled what Google calls "Less secure application access" and
22 > shared with Google their mobile phone number and what other *private*
23 > information Google wants to know, before it allows you to access your email
24 > messages.
25
26 Would a practical alternative be to have all gmail messages forwarded to
27 another account? I haven't looked into this, but I have a gmail account, which
28 perhaps I could set up to forward (relay?) all incoming mail to my Zen
29 account.
32 Regards,
33 Peter.