From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone got any older Portage snapshots kicking around?
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 14:56:53
1 On 17 July 2011, at 00:22, James wrote:
2 > Stroller <stroller <at> stellar.eclipse.co.uk> writes:
3 >
4 >> in this case the box in question is a PS3 which was installed using the
5 >> experimental PS3 stages
8 > Hello Stroller,
9 >
10 > I do not have what you seek, but I did run across this link, some
11 > time ago, which might make your efforts much easier to install on
12 > the PS3:
15 > http://www.edn.com/article/518212-The_Sony_PlayStation_3_hack_deciphered_what_consumer_electronics_designers_can_learn_from_the_failure_to_protect_a_billion.php
16
17 Yeah, I'm aware of this news.
18
19 The thing is that I'm one of the rare people who never upgraded their PS3 to the first firmware upgrade (3.15?) which removed Linux capabilities.
20
21 So I am still "legal" by Sony's definition of the term (much as I disagree with these policies), and would prefer to stay this way.
22
23 AIUI there are a bunch of custom firmwares about, either for installing cool media players (or piracy tools) under GamesOS, and some more custom firmwares aimed at making Linux more powerful (by removing the hypervisor restrictions upon it).
24
25 But I really don't want to install these in case I decide at some point in the future that I want to install the latest official Sony firmware and Sony detects I've "been running pirate games" and bans the console from the gaming network.
26
27 Really, there's no need to update the PS3's firmware because it does everything I need at the moment. The firmware version has no bearing to the existing Linux installation.
28
29 Hope this makes sense. Not a criticism of you, and thanks for trying to be helpful.
30
31 Stroller.