From: James <jtp@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] failed reiserfs partition - help!
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 16:41:25
1 Sorry -- it's a USB device so the drive letter has changed as I've
2 moved the drive around.
3
4 My friend threw a theory out there -- maybe the beginning of the
5 partition is incorrect on the drive? The drive originally had an NTFS
6 partition. By blowing away the beginning of the drive and then
7 rewriting the partition table, maybe the kernel was using the original
8 "beginning" location of the NTFS partition which *may* be incorrect
9 for the beginning of the reiserfs /dev/sdX1 partition. I did *NOT*
10 reboot after making changes to the partition table (nor did I
11 disconnect / reconnect the drive).
12
13 Is this possible?
14
15 I'm 99.99999% sure this drive is not defective. There has to be some
16 way to mount this partition as it was cleanly unmounted and the data
17 copied over with no issues when I was originally doing it.
18
19 Isn't there a way to search for a superblock on the drive and then use
20 that when attempting to mount the partition?
21
22 -james
23