From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: gigabyte mobo latency
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 21:51:32
1 thegeezer <thegeezer <at> thegeezer.net> writes:
4 > > So. Is there a make.conf setting or elsewhere to make the
5 > > terminal session response times, in the browsers (seamonkey, firefox)
6 > > faster?
7 > > the typing latency in the browser windows).....
8
9 > > ideas?
10
11 > two things you might like to look into: 1. cgroups (including freezer)
12 > to help isolate your browsers and also 2. look at atop instead of htop
13 > as this includes disk io
16 2. The system rarely uses 8 G of the 32 G available, so disk IO is
17 not the problem. No heavy writes. It was the java scripts....
18
19 1. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! tell me more. I found these links quickly:
20
21 https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/cgroups/freezer-subsystem.txt
22
23 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/LXC#Freezer_Support
24
25 I'm not sure if you've read any of my clustering_frustration posts
26 over the last month or so, but cgroups is at the heart of clustering now.
27 It seems many of the systemd based cluster solutions are having all
28 sorts of OOM, OOM-killer etc etc issues. So any and all good information,
29 examples and docs related to cgroups is of keen interests to me. My efforts
30 to build up a mesos/spark cluster, center around openrc and therefore
31 direct management of resources via cgroups.
32
33 The freezer is exactly what I'm looking for. Maybe I also need to read up
34 on lxc? What are the best ways to dynamically manage via cgroups? A gui?
35 A static config file? a CLI tool?
38 curiously,
39 James