From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet? -> what was wron with SysVInit?
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 00:47:17
1 On Dec 26, 2012 1:05 AM, "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 {supersnip}
6 > So, no, I'm not trying to answer if you could "create a "/usr" service
7 > and make things dependent on /usr come after it's been mounted". I
8 > passed almost this entire thread because it's mostly people still
9 > hitting the same dead horse; really, if someone believe the eudev fork
10 > is the answer, they should go forth and use it. If there are people
11 > who don't want to believe developers like Greg Kroah-Hartman or Diego
12 > Pettenò when they basically say that eudev is a joke, why they would
13 > believe *me*? And, by the way, Diego doesn't like systemd *at all*.
16 Canek, I distinctly remember, at the very beginning of this brouhaha over
17 udev requiring /usr to be mounted at boot time, you stated something along
18 the lines of 'show me the code, then I'll believe that replacing udev is
19 doable'.
20
21 First, Walter Dnes came out with an amazingly complete -- considering it
22 was all done by just one man -- solution using mdev. You scoffed at him,
23 saying that mdev solution is incomplete.
24
25 Now, some respected Gentoo devs forked udev into eudev, and produced a
26 working solution, yet you still scoff at them.
27
28 In your eyes, udev has become like the cosmos: everything there is, and
29 ever shall be.
30
31 Greg KH and Diego Petteno are similar; they ridiculed a good forking by
32 spreading FUD, and almost totally unwilling to listen to rational arguments
33 from the devs about why udev is forked. As a result, they received great
34 opposition, in turn. Even Linus piped up at one point, sharply reminding
35 Greg KH that even though udev was at one time Greg's 'baby', at this point
36 udev serves only the wants of the few.
37
38 I'd say that you, Greg KH, and others denigrating eudev are udev fanatics,
39 preferring to denigrate anything outside the 'party lines' of udev+systemd.
40
41 Rgds,