From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] faded images with Gwenview : solved
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 04:02:02
1 210917 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > It's only when I crop a PNG image in Gwenview
3 > & save it in place (ie with the same name), that the colors are faded
4 > & that's only when viewed with Gwenview, not eg with Feh.
5 > The bad case does look like a Gwenview bug,
6 > & in fact, as I had forgotten (grimace), I did submit a bug previously :
7 > KDE Bug 420357 back in April 2020, to which no-one has yet responded.
8 > I've added a comment & we'll see if there's any response this time.
9
10 Tibor Nagy of KDE Bugzilla has replied very promptly :
11
12 My guess this happens due to botched gamma handling.
13 Washed out images are a prime symptom of that kind of bugs.
14 Seems like when a PNG gAMA chunk is present,
15 Gwenview applies the gamma transform in the opposite direction it should,
16 thus the washed out images. Seems to be Qt bug, already fixed in 5.15.x :
17 https://github.com/qt/qtbase/commit/de2c3ccd49cb89e0c6912da3b03705a36ef03946
18
19 As you can see from the link above, some coder forgot to invert a value,
20 using 'gamma' when it sb '1/gamma'.
21
22 The patch is dated 'June 11', so it make take awhile yet to reach Gentoo.
23
24 Meanwhile, I have 2 workarounds which are in fact improvements for me.
25 I have amended the Imagemagick 'import' command I use for screenshots
26 to produce them as JPGs, which cb safely cropped already via Gwenview.
27 Alternatively, Firefox will make screenshots via R-click on its window
28 & the area to be grabbed cb marked on the screen, so already cropped.
29
30 From the beginning, I thought it was a programming bug,
31 as it appeared suddenly after a KDE update in spring 2020.
35 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
36 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
37 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca