From: Michele Schiavo <gentoo@××××××××××××××.it>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} GPG: pub & sec keys required to decrypt?
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 17:57:44
1 Create 2 couple of key.
2 one for remote, other for local.
3
4 Il giorno mar, 09/09/2008 alle 10.24 -0700, Grant ha scritto:
5
6 > >> It looks like I've imported a pub/sec keypair now. Should I remove
7 > >> the public key for security? Maybe I misunderstood from the beginning
8 > >> and having both keys on the same system isn't a security issue?
9 > >>
10 > >> - Grant
11 > >>
12 > >
13 > > It is still a security issue, but only as much as any other data on your
14 > > machine. Physical access to the box, or being remotely hacked will
15 > > always be a security risk.
16 > >
17 > > And yes, if someone does break in and copy your pub/sec keypair, they
18 > > will have full ability to masquerade as you in signed and encrypted emails.
19 > >
20 > > You have to weigh it up for yourself really. Many, many keep pub/sec
21 > > keypairs for their email on more than one machine. Of course it would be
22 > > a lot of work for someone to compromise your system for your gpg keys,
23 > > so your email would have to be of value to them.
24 >
25 > Can I configure this so that I don't have the two keys on the same
26 > system? I'd like encrypt with my remote system and decrypt with my
27 > local system. Is that possible? It seems like importing my private
28 > key also imports the public key.
29 >
30 > - Grant