From: nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt (Nuno J. Silva)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Recover from memory corruption
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 16:03:30
1 I found out a computer of mine has been working with a bad memory
2 configuration which could lead to wrong values (sometimes failing on
3 memtest). Not only did it freeze during a world update, but it was also
4 running this way for a long time.
5
6 So I guess some binaries might have errors on it, due to memory
7 corruption during compilation and linking. (Although the errors seems to
8 freeze the system immediately, preventing any kind of long term effects
9 (like installing a broken version) I suppose it's better not to trust
10 that...)
11
12 What's the best way to make sure the system is recovered? Reemerging
13 everything (-e) might fail if some essential package is already broken,
14 right?
17 Nuno J. Silva
18 gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg