From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge -U?
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 17:33:53
1 On Tuesday 13 January 2009 19:20:41 Willie Wong wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 09:07:13AM -0800, Penguin Lover Mark Knecht
3 squawked:
4 > > On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 9:03 AM, Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.edu> wrote:
5 > > > Can anyone tell me when emerge -U disappeared?
6 > > >
7 > > > I have never used it myself, but I just looked at "man emerge", and I
8 > > > don't see that option anymore.
9 > > >
10 > > > W
11 > >
12 > > I have no recollection of -U at all. I've used -DuN for years. What do
13 > > you remember what you thought -U was doing?
14 >
15 > --upgradeonly
16 >
17 > meaning: if *best* available version in portage tree has lower version
18 > number then the installed version, do not downgrade.
19 >
20 > For example, look at this bug report from 2004
21 > http://bugs.gentoo.org/36334
22 > which refers to the --upgradeonly flag that is not in "man emerge"
23 > anymore, and
24 > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/86473/focus=87085
25 > a post on this very list from June 30, 2004, also mentiones the -U
26 > flag.
27 >
28 > Come on, I am only 25! I can't be the only *old-timer* who remembers
29 > this option!
30
31 I'm 44 and I remember -U from 2005 (IIRC)
32
33 But I never used it so don't miss it. If I were the maintainer, it would be
34 something I'd be removing real quick. It would arbitrarily override
35 information in ebuilds, not allowing a downgrade that the dev determined was
36 correct, it would apply to all packages to be upgraded or to none with no
37 granularity. It would also cause all manner of blockers to kick in with an
38 active tree.
39
40 You are better off doing this package by package with the various files
41 in /etc/portage/*. At least with those you know exactly what effect is going
42 to take place.
47 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com