From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: vbox vm no boot
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 00:53:05
1 Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> writes:
2
3 > On Dec 5, 2011 7:19 AM, "Harry Putnam" <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> writes:
6 >>
7 >> > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
8 >> >
9 >> > [...]
10 >> >
11 >> >> A Gentoo VM on a Linux host works fine here with the same setup. Let's
12 >> >> examine the host settings first as that affects booting too.
13 >> >>
14 >> >> What settings do you have on the System and Storage tabs on the VBox
15 >> >> host for that vm?
16 >> >
17 >> > I guess the easiest is to post screen shots of those tabs:
18 >> >
19 >> > www.jtan.com/~reader/vu2/disp.cgi
20 >> >
21 >> > I did notice that on System tab the chipset is listed as piix3 and on
22 >> > Storage Tab it shows `type' as PIIX4. At first there were no other
23 >> > choices on the drop downs, so I assumed it was ok like that... now I
24 >> > see the dropdown on Storage has gotten populated since I last tried
25 >> > it.
26 >> >
27 >> > I set it to match the System `chip' PIIX3... but still the same
28 >> > failure.
29 >> >
30 >> > Maybe those are not related to the problem?
31 >>
32 >> Haa... that google hit I mentioned about resetting bootable with
33 >> gparted worked... Now bootup starts. But the same old sorry bs I have
34 >> always hit with gentoo when trying to setup a vm is now present and
35 >> accounted for...
36 >>
37 >> www.jtan.com/~reader/vu1/disp.cgi
40 > Seems to be a case of missing driver to me :-)
41
42 Yes it is, and its missing because I have no idea what it wants. Do you?