From: Billy Holmes <billy@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on the server side
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 05:12:52
1 Robert Spahr wrote:
2 > I have been running these gentoo servers since 2003, with very few
3 > problems. Although I am conservative in doing my updates.
6 I've run gentoo on several servers from dual intels running dns, squid,
7 routing, to web servers, to quad opterons running as terminal servers.
8
9 The secret to all of that is what Robert said.. update conservatively.
10
11 The update from apache 1.x to 2.x broke some things (good idea to follow
12 the update faqs, or as I did, rebuild the config files by hand), as did
13 when the gentoo apache package managers decided to change the config
14 file layout to better match other distros.
15
16 Also, beware of some of the library updates. They can break other things
17 that revdep-rebuild will have to fix.
18
19 It's a good idea to look up via google or whatever to figure out what's
20 being updated and why (read the changelog).
21
22 It will take a bit to get used to, but after awhile you'll just eyeball
23 it and know which packages are non-issues, and which should be looked
24 closely.
25
26 It's also a good idea to have a staging server where you can test the
27 updates and trash it if you need to (virtualization will help with this
28 a lot).
29
30 Also, some updates don't fully manifest themselves till you restart all
31 the processes or restart the machine. Processes that were running before
32 a library update still have an internal image of the previous version's
33 library.
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list