From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE 5
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 17:38:43
1 On Wednesday 13 Jul 2016 09:14:37 Stefano Crocco wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 12 July 2016 22:56:38 Mick wrote:
3 > > For example Konqueror on my laptop does not integrate with Dolphin
4 > > anymore,
5 >
6 > This is because konqueror still uses KDE 4, while dolphin has been ported to
7 > KDE Frameworks 5. The problem is that konqueror has been without a full
8 > time mantainer for a long time, since the original author shifted his
9 > attention to other parts of KDE. Since last year I took up the role of
10 > konqueror mantainer, but unfortunately I had much less free time to work on
11 > it than I hoped for back then.
12 >
13 > Currently, the situation regarding konqueror is the following:
14 >
15 > * the application itself has been ported from KDE4/Qt4 to KDE Frameworks/Qt5
16 > by its original author (David Faure). This means that it compiles and
17 > mostly works, including the integration with dolphin. There are several
18 > bugs, however.
19 > * I've ported most of the plugins (only the user agent plugin doesn't work
20 > completely)
21 > * I'm in the process of porting the sidebar, which is the last part of
22 > konqueror still using KDE 4. However, different from the rest of the
23 > application, porting this is going to be a lot of work. This is because the
24 > sidebar (or rather, parts of it) still uses a compatibility library used to
25 > port applications from KDE 3 to KDE 4. This library, of course, doesn't
26 > exist in KDE Frameworks, which means that a large part of the sidebar code
27 > needs to be almost rewritten.
28 >
29 > I've thought of writing an ebuild for the developer version of konqueror, (a
30 > 9999 one, of course), since the application is currently mostly working (I
31 > use it as my primary browser, even if I have to switch to other browser
32 > every now and then for sites which won't work with it). The reason I
33 > haven't done so is that konqueror requires libkonq and that the 4 and 5
34 > versions of libkonq can't be installed together. Since many applications
35 > from kde 4 still use it, this would create an issue.
36 >
37 > Stefano
38
39 Thank you Stefano for taking this project on! We are grateful for your work.
40 I have been using Konqueror since KDE2 if I recall right, and although I've
41 tried other browsers/file managers/ftp clients/et al. nothing has ever come
42 close in terms of versatility to this 'swiss army knife' on all my Linux
43 desktops. From what you say it seems that libkonq-5 won't become available
44 until all reverse deps of KDE4 applications are no longer there. If this
45 can't be addressed by slots in Gentoo, I guess we'll just have to wait until
46 all KDE4 applications have been ported to KDE5, or retired.
49 Regards,
50 Mick