From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT virtual stuff] gentoo vm appliance
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 13:15:56
1 On Thursday, June 23 at 13:45 (+0200), Joost Roeleveld said:
2
3 > > Yes the stage4 should work similarly. However Pandu was asking
4 > about
5 > > building ".xva" which I know nothing about, unless an .xva is
6 > similar
7 > > to/same as a stage4 (I have no idea)?
8 >
9 > .xva is a format specifically for Citrix Xen.
10 >
11 > There are tools to convert "classic" Xen VMs to "xva" files:
12 > http://www.xen.org/files/xva/README
13 >
14 > I would be willing to assist in getting this tool to work with your
15 > program.
16 > All I'd need is a copy of your program along with assistance from
17 > Pandu Poluan
18 > to test the resulting XVA files.
19 >
20 > I do not run Citrix XenServer and have no need for it as Xen itself
21 > works fine
22 > for me.
23
24 Thank you. I downloaded the xva.py script and created a target to
25 create .xva files. The script appeared to run fine. No errors, but I
26 cannot verify that the .xva is good. I used hvm and converted the raw
27 image. The .xva is 4.1G whereras the original raw image is only 414MB
28 (sparse). The .xva appears to be a tar file, but I guess w/o the -S
29 flag passed to gnu tar.
30
31 My program is hosted on bitbucket[1]. The documentation for it is
32 outdated.
33
34 -a
35