From: Qian Qiao <qian.qiao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Deny flash to a specific user?
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 15:09:49
1 On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 15:07, Michael Moore <mikem.unet@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 10:05 Wed 19 Nov , Qian Qiao wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 09:54, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 >> >
5 >> > On 19 Nov 2008, at 04:06, Albert Hopkins wrote:
6 >> >>
7 >> >> ...
8 >> >> Why do you want to do this? ... I don't understand why.
9 >> >> What is your justification for doing that?
10 >> >
11 >> > To prevent his kids from watching YouPorn.
12 >> >
13 >> > Stroller.
14 >>
15 >> In that case, isn't putting
16 >>
17 >> 127.0.0.1 ADDRESSES_TO_BE_BLOCKED
18 >>
19 >> into /etc/hosts easier?
20 >>
21 >> Or just set up a proxy.
22 >>
23 >> Joe
24 >>
25 >> --
26 >> There are 3 kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and
27 >> those who can't.
28 >
29 > No, perhaps not, considering the fact that there are so many sites with
30 > pron. Maintaining such a massive hosts file is a disaster and worse still
31 > the solution is not fullproof. But then, FWIW such problems seldom have
32 > foolproof solutions.
33 >
34 > The idea of proxy is very valid(in particular the transparent proxy
35 > implementation), mixed with mime-type handling could do the trick. What
36 > complicates the situation slightly is that it is to be done for just one
37 > user. I don't personally use proxy so not sure about the implementation
38 > details. Perhaps somebody with the usage experience can provide a
39 > detailed solution, once we are sure as to the reason for the question.
40
41 I did a quick google for "linux parental control", turned out there
42 are a couple of solutions, each with their strengths and weaknesses
43 ofc.
44
45 If it's parental control that the OP is after, then he can have a look at them.
46
47 Then again, we are only guessing the OP's intention.
48
49 -- Joe
52 There are 3 kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and
53 those who can't.