From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Increasing security [WAS: Rooted/compromised Gentoo, seeking advice [Solved?]
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 17:09:15
1 On 08/13/2010 09:25 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 8:25 AM, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de> wrote:
3 >> * Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> <snip>
6 >>
7 >> Apropos cracked machines:
8 >>
9 >> In recent years I often got trouble w/ cracked customer's boxes
10 >> (one eg. was abused for SIP-calling people around the world and
11 >> asking them for their debit card codes ;-o). So thought about
12 >> protection against those scenarios. The solution:
13 >>
14 >> Put all remotely available services into containers and make the
15 >> host system only accessible via special channels (eg. serial console).
16 >> You can run automatic sanity tests and security alerts from the hosts
17 >> system, which cannot be highjacked (as long as there's no kernel
18 >> bug which allows escaping a container ;-o).
19 >>
20 >> This also brings several other benefits, eg. easier backups, quick
21 >> migration to other machines, etc.
24 >> cu
25 >
26 > Hi Enrico,
27 > Since I'm not an IT guy could you please explain this just a bit
28 > more? What is 'a container'? Is it a chroot running on the same
29 > machine? A different machine? Something completely different?
30 >
31 > In the OP's case (I believe) he thought a personal machine at home
32 > was compromised. If that's the case then without doubling my
33 > electrical bill (2 computers) how would I implement your containers?
34
35 Basically just run VMWare/Virtualbox etc and put the services in there.
36
37 That's why I force my kids to use IE in a VM....
38
39 No, chroots are NOT the same. They run on the same system.