From: John Newman <jnn@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] upgrading a large package, say Xorg
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 12:53:30
1 Hello,
2
3 Recently I went to emerge ipodder, a program I've never used before but
4 was interested in trying out. Unfortunately it had a dependency on
5 pythonwx >= version 2.6, which in turn had a dependency on wxGTK >= version 2.6,
6 which in turn wanted me to upgrade my entire Xorg installation... (I'm
7 runnig 6.9). Not particularly wanting to do this, I hacked my way
8 around it. (seems it works just fine with wxGTK/wxpython 2.4, which
9 required no Xorg upgrade).
10
11 But later on I decided what the hell, I may as well upgrade X. However,
12 when I attempt emerge xorg-base/xorg-x11, I get a whole list of
13 "Blocked" packages, the gist of it being my installation of
14 x11-base/xorg-x11-6.9 is blocking... everything. I was thinking that
15 emerge could handle this type of situation since I'm doing an upgrade -
16 that it would unmerge the old stuff and emerge the new stuff as it went
17 along.
18
19 Is my only option to manually unmerge my current x11-base/xorg-x11-6.9
20 (and I have hundreds of packages I've emerge'd that depend on it,
21 naturally), then emerge x11-base/xorg-x11 to get the new version (7.1 I
22 believe?). Or is there a better way?
23
24 thanks for any and all advice for this Gentoo fan,
28 John Newman
29 Systems Administrator
30 Webii.net -- A WebXess, Inc. Company
31 --