From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cannot login with publickey on sshd
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 21:17:50
1 On Thursday 18 December 2008, Eric Martin wrote:
2 > Mick wrote:
3
4 > > I have now also tried to generate a key pair on the server, move the
5 > > private key over to the client and then try to login - still no result!
6 > > :-(
7 > >
8 > > It has to be some sort of incompatibility between the two versions of
9 > > OpenSSH. Don't know what else to assume with this problem.
10 >
11 > It definitely looks like the server doesn't like your private key. Did
12 > you remember to update(read: add) the public key on the server?
13
14 Oops! I forgot about this thread - sorry. I finally found out what was
15 causing it:
16
17 I had an entry for a previous server on the same IP address in the
18 ~/.ssh/config file on the client and had disabled publickey to make the login
19 faster. On that occasion the server was a router and it did not offer
20 publickey authentication. After a couple of years I had forgotten all about
21 it . . .
22
23 > The only time I have a problem w/pub/private keys is when
24 > I create them on a windows box and try to export it to ssh. The other
25 > way around always works for me.
26
27 The MSWindows generated keys will work, either from PuTTY or Cygwin, but you
28 have to be careful with hard returns at the end of lines (CR/LF). Use
29 Notepad++ to paste your key in and you should find that it works fine.
30 --
31 Regards,
32 Mick