From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] about to give up on systemd and gnome
Date: Sun, 25 May 2014 11:45:15
1 Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, 25 May 2014 05:38:08 -0400
4 > covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
5 >
6 > > OK, here is a link to the messages without me doing anything in gdm at
7 > > all, just starting it.
8 > >
9 > > https://covici.com/owncloud/public.php?service=files&t=85cffe78261eacc915379ff5d5449d18
10 >
11 > There are some warnings and errors in this one, but I'm not quite sure
12 > which one could be the problem; you can get them with a grep:
13 >
14 > grep -i '\(warning\|error\)' gnome-3.12.1-error2.txt | grep -v Xorg
15 >
16 > 1. The GetAll() and ServiceUnknown erros are often not problematic.
17 >
18 > 2. "Unable to register client with session manager" I get too; so, not a
19 > problem.
20 >
21 > 3. There is "Gvc-WARNING **: Failed to connect context: OK" but that is
22 > GNOME volume control if I understood correctly; so, also not a problem.
23 >
24 > 4. The Polkit Error "No permission to trigger offline updates" might be
25 > more concerning; though, it should just affect the update part.
26 >
27 > 5. "JS ERROR: could not get remote objects for service
28 > org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Smartcard" I think is due to a missing USE
29 > flag option for the gnome-settings-daemon package; I think that's
30 > supposed to work, so, I also don't see this as a problem.
31 >
32 > 6. "Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service failed to load" is
33 > also something non-fatal; so, also not a problem.
34 >
35 > TL;DR: One of these could be it, or not at all; I think the problem
36 > you're having right now doesn't manifest itself as a warning or error,
37 > but instead as an input / graphical problem.
38 >
39 > Can you try a different version of GNOME? A newer might have fixed it.
40 >
41 > If you need instructions on how to switch between specific version,
42 > feel free to let me know. I'll try to figure out the sequence to switch
43 > between users later today, when I can reboot my system.
44
45 You have been a big help -- I think I do have something running here, if
46 I could get orca to talk I would probably be good to go, but the
47 recomended keystroke super-alt-s does not work. hmmm, I was just
48 poking and indeed orca is starting from gdm, but it seems not to have
49 the correct options. The only thing I see is
50 /usr/share/gdm/greeter/autostart/orca-autostart.desktop but that one
51 does have the correct options, but orca definitely has no speech, so I
52 think my problem will be solved if I can get orca to start talking
53 correctly. Now once I login orca does start talking, so its only with
54 the gdm that it does not work, so we are very nearly there.
58 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
59 How do
60 you spend it?
61
62 John Covici