From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How long does "Verifying /usr/portage" take?
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2018 20:32:02
1 On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 3:02 PM Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Now that the public key stuff is working again (knock on wood), I'm
4 > curious if it's usual for an emerge --sync to take 10-15 minutes
5 > longer than it used due to the "Verifying /usr/portage" step.
8 Again, the sync mechanisms are different, but I note that the git
9 verify is nearly instant.
10
11 Of course, the only thing being fed to gpg in the git case is the git
12 commit record itself, which is about 10 lines of text. That record
13 contains a content hash of the tree record, which in turn references
14 content hashes of every directory inside, and so on. So, with git
15 most of the hash validation is happening constantly just by virtue of
16 everything being content-hashed, and the only extra layer with the gpg
17 signature is to sign the top level of the whole tree.
18
19 Now, on the flip side, some of those git operations might take time
20 since it is stating files for things like git status/etc. I've never
21 noticed an issue, but I'm also on an SSD and tend to always have a
22 warm cache when I'm using it. emerge shouldn't need to trigger any
23 git operations except when syncing.
26 Rich
31 Rich