From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on Dell PowerEdge 2600 / 2800? AMI / LSI MegaRAID driver?
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 05:47:12
1 Just a quick question to see if any of the list members are using
2 Gentoo - or any other Linux distro for that matter - on Dell
3 PowerEdge 2600 or 2800 servers?
4
5 A site I manage has had from new a 2800 running Windows, which we're
6 quite happy with (the 2800, that is, not Windows ;). We really need
7 new hardware for our Linux-based mailserver & similar systems seem to
8 be quite affordable on the secondhand market, and it would make quite
9 a bit of sense for us to use one of these.
10
11 I haven't done much digging yet, but thought a quick show of hands
12 here might save some time. It looks like the SCSI hot-swap / RAID
13 controller uses an AMI / LSI MegaRAID driver which is (?) part of the
14 main kernel - anyone know if that does status updates (dead-hard
15 drives &c) to the syslog? Does it depend on any userland utilities
16 that are only available as RPM or whatever?
17
18 I know RedHat &/or Suse are supported on this machine, but I've been
19 using Gentoo so long now I find it hard to use them thar binary
20 distros. It'd also be nice if power-supply failures were logged in
21 the same way - anyone know? I've had some experience in the past with
22 a Compaq Proliant 6500 and certain utilities for that would only
23 report problems via SNMP, which was a bit of a pain.
24
25 Cheers,
26
27 Stroller.