From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any recommendations for PCI-X SATA cards?
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 23:01:45
1 On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 6:48 PM, <felix@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 06:32:30PM -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
3 >
4 >> There are three modules on one side of the PCB. Each module has two
5 >> SATA ports. There are two modules on the flip side that each have only
6 >> one SATA port. So, that's 3x2+2, or 8.
7 >
8 > How easy is it to connect to cables in one of the doubles?
9
10 Um, pretty easy? Same as how difficult it might be to plug one into
11 your motherboard.
14 > My tower is pretty full, but some of that is 3 SCSI drives, and I may
15 > at some point change all three to a single SSD drive and put in two
16 > more 4T drives.
17
18 Sure.
21 >> The reason I'm only using 3? This system doesn't have PCI-X, only PCIe
22 >> and PCI. So I want as much as reasonable plugged into the mainboard's
23 >> SATA ports.
24 >
25 > Why not use the PCIe slots for SATA to get more speed?  I suppose you
26 > could just want bulk where speed is not essential, or they could be full....
27
28 I didn't have non-GPU PCIe slots when I bought the cards, and I don't
29 have a PCIe SATA controller. When I bought the cards, I did happen to
30 have a prescott-based dual-xeon system with a couple PCI-X slots I
31 wanted to take advantage of. It only took a couple days' having that
32 machine powered up before I realized I didn't need that powerful of an
33 electric space heater in my apartment...
34
35 The one thing I'd really like to change over what I've got...I'd like
36 to have the correct-length SATA cables, rather than having plenty of
37 SATA cables all of worst-case length.
38
39 Well, the other thing I'd like to change is use hot-swap bays instead
40 of the semi-fixed bays I've got. Then I wouldn't need to move cables
41 around if I need to remove drives. (That got to be a problem earlier
42 this week.) But that's not the fault of the controller.
46 :wq