From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 21:27:28
1 On 19/08/2013 16:33, pk wrote:
2 > Using an initramfs means you duplicate parts of your OS and copy them
3 > into the kernel or using a tool (like dracut or genkernel). If you need
4 > it from a technical point of view (bluetooth keyboard), that's fine but
5 > if I don't have any hardware that requires it then why use an initramfs?
6 > I guess it's a matter of taste (or "philosophy" if you will)... An
7 > initramfs seems like bandaid to me (and it is).
10 I snipped most of the thread as I don't want to revisit yet again and
11 old horse that is much flogged already :-)
12
13 We're not too different, you and I, if I may dare say it when we differ
14 it's you tend a little more towards idealism and I towards realism.
15
16 Yes, bluetooth sucks, but it was designed by what was available at the
17 time and it's what we have. For that matter USB, spinning disks and lack
18 of fibre into my house also suck, but we have to work with what we have
19 and what we certainly will have soon. Same with initramfs. Does it suck?
20 Of course it does, it just sucks less than any other realistic proposal
21 I've ever seen. And tricky bootstrap problems are tricky - always have
22 been since the 50s and always will be.
23
24 Which brings me to what I am really trying to say - giving specific
25 examples to highlight general problems is always a nasty road to
26 navigate. Like bluetooth keyboards, there's always a non-trivial number
27 who can claim that the example does not apply to *them*. One can go
28 round and round in circles with that, and skirt the actual issue:
29
30 Software exists in the context of something bigger and for us that often
31 means "maximally useful for the maximum number of folks inclined to use
32 such a package" and that sweet spot includes compromises; some things
33 just have to be laid in stone so that everything else works at all -
34 sometimes we just have to accept that.
35
36 Let's look at /usr by comparing it to /opt. I like /opt - all the crap
37 from Oracle, IBM, Sybase and Sun my managers shove on me goes in there
38 where I can at least corral it. I can agree with that setup.
39
40 I can even agree with a "system" vs "userspace" split ala / vs /usr,
41 although the distinction is very murky indeed, but do I really need it?
42 Yes, it can be useful and even if I make a case for it, does it really
43 need to be it's own partition? I'm carefully dodging around the niche
44 market for terminal servers and /usr mounted over NFS here. I
45 respectfully submit that we could also solve that one using full PXE
46 boot, automount and unionfs or brethren.
47
48 Like I said earlier, software exists in the context of something bigger,
49 and Gentoo exists in the context of the FOSS community. We consume much
50 more code than we produce and sometimes we have to back down and go with
51 what the world is doing or be prepared to fork.
52
53 Incidentally, I don't see that anyone has ever proposed the obvious
54 sword to cut this knot - have the kernel automount /usr. it already does
55 / and we have root= ... it wouldn't be hard to add /usr= ...
56
57 Yes, I know I'm being stupid and Linus would reply with two words, the
58 first starting with an f. He'd tell us to solve it the right way even if
59 that's the hard way. I believe separate /usr without initramfs is
60 rapidly becoming white elephant material, and we are faced with a
61 decision to do it the hard way.
64 Alan McKinnon
65 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com