From: Christopher Lemire <christopher.lemire@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Distorted Mirroed Overlapping screen with ATI Rage card
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 04:11:36
1 **This is what my laptop's screen with a newly installed Gentoo system
2 running twm to test X looks like (attached image). It's distorted with
3 overlapping and mirrored image. I have a Dell Latitude C800 with the video
4 card.
5
6 http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/qq4qz9jf/0705122206.jpg
7
8 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee
9 ATI Rage Mobility M4 AGP [1002:4d46]
10 Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:00a3]
11 Kernel driver in use: aty128fb
12
13 Yes, I have compiled the r128 driver directly into the kernel. Various
14 people around the internet had posted xorg.conf that was supposed "ati" as
15 the driver. I do not have that driver. I substituted in the same xorg.conf
16 with r128, and I still had the same issue. I tried with no xorg.conf (the
17 default), and I couldn't startx, errored and crashed. I had also tried X
18 -configure and had the same distorted screen. I know it is possible to get
19 this working just fine. I had it working just fine in Arch Linux with r128.
20 I really don't want to go back to using Arch. I already used fdisk on it to
21 install this new Gentoo system.
24 Christopher Lemire <christopher.lemire@×××××.com>
25 Ubuntu 64 bit Linux Raid Level 0
26
27 Gnu Privacy Guard Key Fingerprint = 3E1A 9103 EF3D 4885 6866 E9DE C69F
28 18B3 E13B 0909
29
30 Web: http://linuxinnovations.blogspot.com
31 Jabber: recursivequicksort@××××××.org