From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Installer and Handbook (Was: Re: Gentoo's advantage: 'optimized for your system' -- huh?)
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 18:12:25
1 On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 5:27 AM, Sebastian Günther
2 <samson@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > * Nikos Chantziaras (realnc@×××××.de) [05.02.09 09:12]:
4 >>
5 >> Than I'll rephrase my statement: Gentoo would need a non-bugged GUI
6 >> installer ;)
7 >>
8 > No, Gentoo needs no GUI or CLI installer. It is very good, that if you
9 > install Gentoo for the first time, you must actually read the
10 > documentation, because it introduces you in the whole managing Gentoo
11 > stuff. What is important in the Handbook are not the commandline
12 > examples, but the surrunding text.
13
14 A student of the path heard about Ubuntu, and wanted to try it, and
15 learn about it. He asked his friend, a Linux guru, about it.
16
17 "Where can I find an installer of Ubuntu?", he asked.
18
19 Rummaging about his stuff, his friend replied: "Here, I have an extra
20 Ubuntu CD for you.". After thanking his friend, he got about his
21 business and went to install Ubuntu on a spare machine.
22
23 After a while, he wanted to install other applications on his Ubuntu
24 machine, but he didn't know how to do it. He quickly called up his
25 friend and asked about it.
26
27 "Where can I find the official documentation for Ubuntu?", he asked.
28
29 "Read the documentation and manuals at these links," said his friend,
30 who pointed at the site containing the offiicial documentation. After
31 thanking his friend, he got about his business and learned a bit about
32 his Ubuntu machine.
33
34 Several months later, at the Ubuntu forums, he notices several users
35 mentioning Gentoo over and over again. He quickly decides to give this
36 Gentoo a try, and asks his friend where to get an installer.
37
38 "Read the documentation and manuals at these links," said his friend,
39 who pointed at the site containing the official documentation.
40
41 This answer confused the student, and after skimming the pages for a
42 while, he notices that the documentation is too huge for him to read
43 in a single sitting. He then asks his friend if he has a copy of the
44 documentation for reference when he gets home.
45
46 Rummaging about his stuff, his friend replied: "Here, I have an extra
47 Gentoo CD for you."
48
49 The student was even more confused. "Why is it that when I asked you
50 for an installer, you pointed me to the documentation, but when I
51 asked you for the documentation, you gave me a CD? Why didn't you give
52 me a CD installer the first time around?"
53
54 To which the guru replied: "If you just want a CD installer, then you
55 can have this.", and he gave the student another Ubuntu CD.
56
57 At this point the student was enlightened.