From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot gentoo in 5 seconds?
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 14:19:20
1 090420 Liviu Andronic wrote:
2 > I stumbled on several posts [1] [2] concerning start-up speed of Linux.
3 > Compared with the 5-17 secs posted in the posts, my (slightly old) Gentoo
4 > needs around two minutes from power button to DE idle.
5
6 It will all depend on your hardware & precise start-up procedure.
7
8 I have a regular desktop box with Asus P5K-VM mobo + Intel Core 2 Duo :
9 Bios takes 10 s , Linux start-up (Lilo screen to login prompt) 25 s
10 & after 'startx' KDE 3.5.10 takes 25 s incl 10 apps ;
11 Fluxbox takes 6 s , but I have to start the apps by hand
12 (which is very quick if you assign them to Alt-Fn keys).
13
14 Start-up time is not that important for a desktop machine,
15 which its user typically starts once/day while making coffee etc.
19 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
20 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
21 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca