From: Steen Eugen Poulsen <sep@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backups
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 03:53:00
1 Grant skrev:
2 > Do you back up anything other than /etc and /home on a standard system?
3
4 In a Gentoo system nothing is really standard, so I backup everything
5 from / and then have a small exclude list with things like:
6
7 /dev, /proc, /sys, /exports, /var/cache/squid, /srv/BackupPC.
10 /var contains the most important files on a Gentoo system, if you loss
11 the portage installed software information your in a heap of trouble.
12 Goes both ways though backup of portages var information is less useful
13 without backup of everything installed.
16 I'm undecided about /usr/portage, I could save some time backing up
17 /usr/portage/distfiles, but it is easily generated content.
21 Minimal backup - if your willing to spend the hours on getting thing
22 back up and running.
23
24 /etc /root /home /usr/local /var
25
26 It's possible to make an exclude list for /var as it contains both
27 variable data thats important to save and dynamic data that will be
28 generated again.

smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature