From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Linus Torvalds on systemd
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 16:28:52
1 Am 20.09.2014 um 16:08 schrieb Mark David Dumlao:
2 > On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 11:40 AM, Alec Ten Harmsel
3 > <alec@××××××××××××××.com <mailto:alec@××××××××××××××.com>> wrote:
6 > On 09/17/2014 10:40 PM, Mark David Dumlao wrote:
7 >
8 > > Fact is if it's _you_ that seems to give a tweet about systemd
9 > speed,
10 > > so it's on _you_ to measure it, I don't really care what you
11 > think. The
12 > > fact that you think pid1's speed or resource usage might be a
13 > big deal
14 > > is very indicative on how badly informed you are in the first place.
15 >
16 > I don't care about systemd speed. I really am completely ambivalent
17 > about PID1; I've run Upstart, I've run systemd, I've run OpenRC, and
18 > they all work fine. All I'm saying is that a common point in the
19 > systemd
20 > community seems to be its awesome performance (unless I'm reading the
21 > wrong documentation and conversations), and burden of proof is on the
22 > party making the claim.
25 > The thing is, that's a strawman. Volker is outright delusional about
26 > systemd people breaking into his threads and forcefeeding him Lennart
27 > facts like "systemd is faster". It's the exact opposite. Every time a
28 > systemd thread comes up, here come the anti-fanboys whining about
29 > "well why should _i_ use it? because it's _faster_?" as if we gave a
30 > crap that he did.
31
32 I am deluded? Who again posted systemd propaganda again?
33 >
34 > The burden of proof is on the party making the claim, but almost
35 > nobody is making the claim -to him-.
36
37 No, just on public mailing lists and fora.
38
39 True, speed is not a factor.
40
41 Except if you claim it is.
42
43 > The fact that he thinks systemd's speed is important already betrays
44 > how biased and narrow his thinking is on the topic. Most people don't
45 > even bother with bootup speeds that cut a few seconds off. Heck I
46 > tried to tweak my boot process with systemd and I had a hard time
47 > getting _even_ with Ubuntu.
48
49 so the systemd-fanbois that always masturbate about how systemd is so
50 much faster than anything else are actually lying?
51
52 Interesting.
53
54 If those systemd-fanbois wouldn't talk about how-fast-their-toy-is, I
55 wouldn't care about it. I only boot to replace kernels. I don't care
56 about boot time, as long as it stays under 5 minutes.
57
58 > Generally we care more about the fact that services have actual
59 > dependencies, are written declaratively, can be executed exactly as
60 > upstream recommends, don't have magic code hacks, are automatically
61 > cgrouped and thus have all child processes guaranteed killed on
62 > service down, that logs and STDOUT are tracked and searchable in the
63 > journal, etc etc etc. Every single one of those matters more than
64 > bootup speed, but yeah, we heard somewhere that you can tweak parallel
65 > boots to be faster or something.
66
67 and if your system breaks and systemd stops working - how do you easily
68 access those logs? Just a question. With other logging solutions it is
69 easy: cat, less tail... etc.
72 > Point is he's trying to paint the picture that systemd folks rattle on
73 > and on about its speed, but they don't.
74
75 except when they do.