From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What's with all these "acct-group" ebuilds recently?
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 20:29:14
1 On 26 June 2020 22:03:35 CEST, james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 >On 6/26/20 12:38 PM, Daniel Frey wrote:
3 >> On 6/20/20 7:04 PM, William Kenworthy wrote:
4 >>> Thanks for filing the bug.
5 >>
6 >> Gah! I forgot about this!
7 >>
8 >> I filed a bug now, I hope I made it clear enough. Others can pipe in
9 >> there with comments if they like.
10 >>
11 >> I did indicate the two potential proposals to correct the issue in
12 >the
13 >> bug itself.
14 >>
15 >> https://bugs.gentoo.org/729752
16 >>
17 >> Dan
18 >
19 >BEFORE I contribute to this bug, I'm posting here to see if others are
20 >or have interest, in my thoughts on this issue and my related needs for
21 >
22 >extreme security, via Gentoo. Below is far from complete, but it only
23 >provides a very snippets of my (secure) pathway forward with Gentoo.
24 >
25 >Interesting thread, thanks to all contributors. I'd like to add 'my
26 >selfish' interest, as they also be espoused by other, more focused,
27 >gentoo users.
28 >
29 >INTRO:
30 >
31 >I rarely build gentoo systems, for many reasons, that are not pretty
32 >singularly focused. It drastically reduces security, performance and
33 >upgrade issues. For me, the days of a any system, having groups or
34 >users, are in the history books of very bad ideas. uP are so cheap and
35 >less than $100, gets you a very 'bad ass' computer (Rasp. Pi 4+) 16 G
36 >map-able ram. Furthermore, SOON, usb_4 devices are going to obsolete
37 >the
38 >entire concept of a 'hard drive'; hence the death (my prediction) of
39 >groups and users on multi-USER systems, albeit slowly.
40 >
41 >Multi-function, Multi-tasking, and light weight, focused transient
42 >clusters are the future. YMMV.
45 >So solving a problem, that was real and big, decades ago, fails to look
46 >
47 >at the future. For me, Gentoo is future proof. I suggest a well
48 >documented pathway forward; totally without the concept of groups and
49 >users, on a typical, highly secure system. Which is now the baseline
50 >for
51 >real systems, particularly with a ipv4 or ipv6 static ip, that provide
52 >focused and highly restricted functionalities. CA servers are going
53 >private, as the public and root CA servers, are suspect, at best, as to
54 >
55 >being pristinely secure. Yes boys and girls most Certificate
56 >Authorities
57 >are HACK! Even the main root CAs.
58 >
59 >The F. Feds are the original culprits, but now it is a feeding frenzy.
60 >The planet is now hacked, and groups and users concepts are the past.
61 >imho! Danger Will Robinson Danger!
62 >
63 >So can some of the smarter (gentoo) folks illuminate how to totally
64 >avoid groups and users, except for the minimum required, application
65 >specific? For example like serial line tools, or outline a set of
66 >tweaks/setting to avoid these altogether?
67 >
68 >I build embedded G. systems. I build single purpose G systems. I build
69 >security G. systems (often with the ethernet, in only listen mode. I
70 >build G. Firewalls.
71 >I build G. highly restricted/filtered servers. NONE of those need users
72 >
73 >or groups. And if they do, I can obfuscate codes to provide that need,
74 >to where filters and focused software gets what it needs to provide
75 >functions.
76 >
77 >Yep, I'm moving to a total 'State_Machine_design' for critical
78 >services.
79 >Strip out every thing else.....
80 >
81 >Am I alone, or have/are others contemplating such high secure pathways?
82 >
83 >I'd be fantastic to find a kernel hacker that is on the pathway of
84 >extreme minimization too; private email is fine; if that is in your
85 >wheel_house.
88 >curiously alone?,
89 >James
90
91 James,
92
93 Doesn't this imply that all the software and people interacting with the systems all have root-level access?
94
95 One of the reasons MS systems were so vulnerable in the past was because they did not support seperated users. It's also still a problem with a lot of legacy systems.
96
97 As long as more than 1 person can access the system, seperate users and groups/ACLs are necessary.
98
99 Can you explain how having no users makes a system more secure?
102 Joost
103 --
104 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.