From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting maximum space out of a hard drive
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 14:09:50
1 On Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 4:27 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >
4 > I looked into the Raspberry and the newest version, about $150 now,
5 doesn't even have SATA ports. I can add a thing called a "hat" I think
6 that adds a couple but thing is, that costs more and still isn't enough. I
7 really don't like USB and hard drive mixing. Every time I do that, the
8 hard drive turns into a door stop. Currently, I have three Rosewill
9 external enclosures and they have USB and eSATA ports. I use the eSATA
10 connections and no problems. It's also really fast. So, I plan to stick
11 with SATA connections.
12
13 You do NOT want the Rasp Pi for this. You would have to compile and
14 maintain the OS yourself just adding work and the disk interfaces aren't
15 high performance enough.
16
17 Obviously you can do what you are most comfortable with but to me a NAS
18 machine with a bunch of external drives does not sound very reliable.
21 > I have a old computer that I might could use. It is 4 core something and
22 I think it has 4GBs of memory, maxed out. I think it will perform well
23 enough but wish it had a little more horses in it.
24
25 That's more than enough horsepower for TrueNAS Core. If the box will hold 3
26 drives then you have 1 system drive and 2 data drives for a ZFS RAID1.
27 That's how both of my NAS boxes are set up.
28
29 You can buy more memory at lots of places inexpensively but you don't need
30 it to start. 4GB will work with TrueNAS Core. My machines have 8 & 12GB. I
31 never use it all.
32
33 https://www.truenas.com/truenas-core/
34
35 Even if your old box has only 2 drives, download TrueNAS and just set it up
36 on one systemdrive. It's not Gentoo difficult. It's a fully formed install
37 system which will probably be running in an hour. You can use 1 drive in
38 your data tank and add additional drives later.
39
40 The speed of a NAS is _mostly_ a balance between network speed and disk
41 speed. Processor usage for me is generally about 20%. If your network is
42 GigaBit then you can sustain somewhere about 850Mb/S on the cables which
43 translates nicely to about 100 MegaByte/S on your disk drives. There isn't
44 that much CPU usage as it's mostly compression when backing up.
45
46 Unless you use the box as a file server getting data back off is a once in
47 a while event where you don't care too much about speed, or at least I
48 don't.
49
50 Just do it. Download the install disc and give it a try. Nothing much to
51 lose.
52
53 Good luck.
54 Mark