From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Setting up fetchmail to feed postfix
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2017 10:25:36
1 On 24 November 2017 18:30:22 GMT+01:00, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 11:16 AM, Ralph Seichter
3 ><m16+gentoo@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
4 >> On 24.11.17 16:39, Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> I'm trying an evasion, which is to use fetchmail to retrieve emails
7 >>> from my ISP and deliver them to postfix, which can then serve them
8 >>> via IMAP.
9 >>
10 >> Postfix is an MTA and does neither store email nor lets you access
11 >email
12 >> via IMAP. There must be an IMAP server in your mix somewhere (e.g.
13 >> Dovecot or Courier).
16 >While Postfix certainly won't serve up email via IMAP it definitely
17 >does store email. You are correct that you'd run a separate IMAP
18 >server. They need not be on the same host assuming they can both get
19 >at the maildirs.
20
21 I would let the mailstore (Cyrus, Dovecot,...) do the actual storing of the email and have the MTA (postfix, sendmail,...) pass it via LMTP or similar.
22
23 That way any indexes and metadata is handled properly.
26 Joost
27 --
28 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.