From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Slow startx - Why does hostname -f hang?
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2015 19:35:51
1 On Sunday 04 Jan 2015 18:45:38 Urs Schütz wrote:
2 > On 01/04/15 15:20, Mick wrote:
3
4 > > In my /etc/hosts I have something like this:
5 > >
6 > > # IPv4 and IPv6 localhost aliases
7 > > 127.0.0.1 cad.homeLAN localhost cad
8 > >
9 > > ::1 cad.homeLAN localhost cad
10 > >
11 > > See if this solves your problem.
12 > >
13 > > PS. I remember a thread in this M/L about the correct way to configure a
14 > > domain name and why how the Gentoo Handbook was wrong. I think there was
15 > > a bug opened about it, too.
16 >
17 > Setting up /etc/hosts exactly as above did resolve the slow hostname -f
18 > lookup.
19 >
20 > urs@cadd ~ $ time hostname -v -f
21 > gethostname()=`cadd'
22 > Resolving `cadd' ...
23 > Result: h_name=`cadd.homeLAN'
24 > Result: h_aliases=`localhost'
25 > Result: h_aliases=`cadd'
26 > Result: h_addr_list=`::1'
27 > cadd.homeLAN
28 >
29 > real 0m0.001s
30 > user 0m0.000s
31 > sys 0m0.000s
32 >
33 > :-) Thanks for your help.
34
35 You're welcome! :-)
36
37 Please note that I assumed the name of your host PC is "cad" and the arbitrary
38 name of your local domain is "homeLAN". You may want to change these to suit
39 your needs.
42 Regards,
43 Mick