From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backup program that compresses data but only changes new files.
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 23:09:14
1 On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 6:44 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I plan to buy another hard drive pretty soon. Next month is possible.
4 > If there is nothing available that does what I want, is there a way to
5 > use rsync and have it set to backup files starting with "a" through "k"
6 > to one spot and then backup "l" through "z" to another? I could then
7 > split the files into two parts.
8
9 Oh, I didn't comment on this part, so sorry for the double reply.
10
11 If you need backups that span multiple disks your options are very
12 limited unfortunately. Most linux backup software might output
13 multiple files but it dumps them all in one place and much of it
14 assumes that all the files are in one place for restoration. Here are
15 the options I've found:
16
17 1. You can use lvm/zfs/btrfs/whatever to combine multiple disks to
18 make them look like one disk. This is a workaround, and obviously
19 you're limited to however many disks you can physically mount at one
20 time.
21
22 2. You can use bacula, which does support changing media, since it was
23 designed for tape, but unlike tar it can output to a directory.
24 However, this is not very well-supported and it can be a pain. This
25 is what I'm doing for large-scale backups. I basically treat a hard
26 drive like a giant tape. It is fussy to set up and use, and bacula
27 itself is VERY fussy to use. Oh, and make sure you REALLY understand
28 it and do some restoration tests because otherwise you could paint
29 yourself into a corner. I always backup my database, and I have the
30 bacula software itself running in a container and after every backup I
31 just create a tarball of the whole container and stick that on the
32 backup disk (it isn't big, and that solves the bootstrapping problem).
33 Don't ever use bacula to back up itself - it is terrible for that.
34
35 3. Obviously if you have a scratch disk big enough to hold everything
36 temporarily that also works. You can do your backup, then copy it off
37 to other drives however you want.
40 Rich