From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How long does "Verifying /usr/portage" take?
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2018 20:11:23
1 On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 2:16 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> Now that the public key stuff is working again (knock on wood), I'm
4 >> curious if it's usual for an emerge --sync to take 10-15 minutes
5 >> longer than it used due to the "Verifying /usr/portage" step.
6 >>
7 >> On some systems (with fewer packages installed) it only takes a minute
8 >> or less. But, on my "main" desktop system it takes 10-15 minutes every
9 >> time. During the verify step, the emerge process is only using about
10 >> 5% of the CPU, and my system is running 80% or more idle.
14 > I haven't timed mine yet but that sounds about like mine here. I'm not
15 > sure what the bottleneck is but I have a four core AMD CPU running at
16 > 3.2GHz with 16GBs of ram and SATA spinning rust drives. While I'm glad
17 > to have the added security measures, it does add a significant amount of
18 > time to the update process, the tree not the compile part. We all know
19 > the compile part can get big. lol
20 >
21 > I guess like everything else, we'll just have to get used to it. People
22 > will hack a ham sandwich if they can and can get something from it.
23 > That would be mustard on mine. Some may like Mayo, which is fine too.
24 > ;-)
27 Run a program with `strace -c` to get statistics on time spent in
28 system calls. It will be disk IO.