From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: X-forwarding fails with "Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key"
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 16:32:24
1 On 30 Apr 2009, at 16:59, Grant wrote:
2
3 >>> X-forwarding used to work for me but I haven't used it in a while
4 >>> and now
5 >>> I get:
6 >>>
7 >>> Warning: untrusted X11 forwarding setup failed: xauth key data not
8 >>> generated
9 >>> Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11
10 >>> forwarding.
11 >>> Xlib: connection to "localhost:10.0" refused by server
12 >>> Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
13 >>> Cannot open display:
14 >>>
15 >>> ...
16 >
17 > Unfortunately I still get the same error. I'll try to put together an
18 > xauth command, but does anyone know what happened here? Usually you
19 > just enable X11Forwarding and you can use it right?
20
21 Hi,
22
23 I seem to have missed a couple of posts in this thread.
24
25 Have you got xauth installed? When I set up a new machine recently
26 there was a missing dependency - I _think_ it was xauth. I installed a
27 base system + knode + mozilla. I never installed X11 explicitly, as I
28 never log into this machine locally, only use a couple of X11 apps
29 remotely (because those aren't available on my Mac). I'm not sure if
30 X11 itself was installed or only some X11~ish libraries, but there was
31 definitely a dependency missing as a result of the way I installed.
32 Unfortunately I didn't file a bug.
33
34 Secondly, when you ssh in, you need to use `ssh -Y hostname` in order
35 to enable ssh forwarding.
36
37 Hope these observations are not unhelpful,
38
39 Stroller.