From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: blanking disk of linux appliance
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 09:35:09
1 On 14 January 2013, at 02:11, Adam Carter wrote:
2
3 > shred and dd available, but not srm etc
4 >
5 > I want to remove the user account info before the device is returned, but dont want to cripple the device. Filesystem is ext3 with default mount options, …
6
7 What kind of device is it?
8
9 I would have thought that a "device" would have a factory reset button, or that all configuration would be wiped upon uploading a new firmware.
10
11 You say that you're "returning" the system - if it's a PC-based system that you have been renting from someone else, then surely they have security obligations.
12
13 IMO the correct way to handle secure erasure of a system with a hard-drive is to wipe the whole thing before restoring the default system image.
14
15 Stroller.