From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] :-@ Reversing xorg-server, hal and evdev.
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 07:44:24
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Saturday 11 July 2009 21:31:55 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> That sounds great to me. I hope it will be easier for everybody than
5 >> this hal, evdev thing.
6 >>
7 >> I notice there is something devkit in portage already. I wonder if they
8 >> are already working on it? I hope so.
11 > devkit is being actively developed, but it's still early days. It can deal
12 > with a few hardware bits and bobs, IIRC automounting swappable media is one of
13 > them. Some distros are shipping with devkit to do that function (Fedora?
14 > Ubuntu?) and using hal for the remainder.
15 >
16 > I reckon it will be a while before we see the last of hal. Personally, I can't
17 > wait for that day to dawn.
21 I did a little checking on what I saw. It appears to be something
22 different from what you are talking about. That said, I'm hoping devkit
23 will have a better layout. What would be neat is to have a file that
24 lists all the hardware supported. When something is connected, it just
25 looks at that file to find out what it is and how to communicate with
26 the device and what it is capable of doing. Being able to ass something
27 to that file would be nice but I bet having it already listed can be
28 done. I'm sure most things are documented somewhere.
29
30 I'm not holding my breath but thinking something good is on the way sure
31 does help.
32
33 Dale
34