From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OpenVPN setup
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 17:46:27
1 On Tuesday 12 February 2008, Grant wrote:
2 > > Even if you just want to encrypt some clear-text protocol that
3 > > doesn't have an encrypted equivalent, a vpn is still overkill. For
4 > > that you use ssh tunneling (which is essentially the same thing as
5 > > an encrypted version of a protocol). 'ssh -X' is the classic
6 > > example of easily tunneling a protocol that doesn't have a native
7 > > encrypted equivalent.
8 >
9 > I see what you're saying.  Can tunneling through ssh be made
10 > automatic so that a cron job initiates a script that opens a tunnel
11 > between the remote server and local print server and pages are
12 > printed through the tunnel?
13
14 Sure. ssh is just a process after all and in principle encapsulated
15 whatever gets put into it. All you need is a connection that isn't
16 firewalled out and an sshd that is listening to what is coming in.
17
18 ssh will even port forward for you and can be made to transform any tcp
19 connection to appear to come from whatever port you want. What you put
20 inside the tunnel is up to you. If the print server won't accept what
21 is coming in, then google will find you any number of apps that will
22 mangle the traffic.
23
24 > > Your statement "it seems like running SSH inside a VPN is better
25 > > for security than running SSH on a non-standard port" is
26 > > non-sensical. From a security and encryption perspective, ssh and
27 > > OpenVPN are exactly the same thing - stuff wrapped in an encryption
28 > > layer provided by ssl, complete with exactly the same key setup
29 > > should you choose to use that route.
30 >
31 > What about having ssh, imap, smtp, cups, and possibly a non-standard
32 > https port all hidden within a VPN?  Should that be considered a
33 > benefit of running a VPN?
34
35 I've filed the original post somewhere else and forgot the scenario :-)
36 Is this a setup you need to be present often or even all the time? If
37 so, you have 5 protocols in use, and setting up tunnels could become
38 cumbersome. You might consider that it's more effort than it's worth
39 and a VPN that is there and JustWorks(tm) is preferable. I would call
40 that a sensible use of a VPN :-)
41
42 I don't think there's a golden rule about when using a VPN is right or
43 wrong. It's more like "do the advantages outweigh the hassle of setting
44 it up and maintaining it?". Sometimes this answer is obvious, sometimes
45 less so. Sometimes it's a judgement call.
46
47 Side note: I'm starting to consider that even the most whacky, bizarre
48 and stupid use of OpenVPN is preferable to the heartache and pain
49 involved with trying to get IPSec working as designed....
52 Alan McKinnon
53 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
56 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list