From: Jan-Hendrik Zab <xaero@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DHClient Woes - No Modules Loaded?
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 20:58:49
1 On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 11:44:42 -0700
2 Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Proof:
5 > lsauron@the-dark-tower:~$ grep -nr "dhclient" ./archival
6 > lsauron@the-dark-tower:~$
7 >
8 > I have been getting annoyed at dhcpcd, which will take 180 seconds to
9 > ping even if there isn't a networking cable in my NIC. I use a laptop,
10 > so you can easily speculate how I got so annoyed.
11 >
12 > I know that Kubuntu had the ability to detect whether there was a cable
13 > in my laptop and ping accordingly. I looked at my Kubuntu workstation
14 > and found that it's using dhclient. I installed dhcpd on my laptop and
15 > tried my best to make it work. I got the following:
16 [snip]
17
18 Well, maybe I just misunderstood you, anyway... You could try pump
19 (the fastest/best dhcp client I know of :-) and ifplug, the latter
20 starts the wired ethernet interfaces when they get a link.
21
22 PPS.
23 The iface_eth interface is completely out of date, take a _very_ good
24 look at `/etc/conf.d/net.example'.
25
26 Greets,
27 Jan-Hendrik Zab