From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Laptop keeps freezing
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 16:32:50
1 On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 9:26 AM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > My Gentoo laptop keeps freezing. It will stay up for about 30 minutes
3 > and then stop responding altogether. I've checked the logs but there
4 > is nothing informative there. I'm all up to date with packages. How
5 > do you troubleshoot something like this?
6 >
7 > - Grant
8
9 It's a bit hard with a laptop but there are some things you can do.
10
11 1) Does it freeze under no load? Just boot it and wait. don't log in, etc.
12
13 2) Does it only boot once logged in? What's running?
14
15 3) From another machine can you ssh in and then watch from there? Is
16 the laptop dead or is it just not responding to its own keyboard? If
17 it's still alive what's in the log files?
18
19 Probably there are lots more things to do but these are the sort of
20 things I'd try first.
21
22 Good luck,
23 Mark