From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backup program that compresses data but only changes new files.
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 19:28:12
1 Michael wrote:
2 > On Monday, 15 August 2022 11:58:14 BST Gerrit Kühn wrote:
3 >> Am Mon, 15 Aug 2022 12:50:37 +0200
4 >>
5 >> schrieb Gerrit Kühn <gerrit.kuehn@×××××××.de>:
6 >>> Being a happy restic user myself, I'd like to mention that compression is
7 >>> available meanwhile
8 >>> (https://restic.readthedocs.io/en/latest/047_tuning_backup_parameters.html
9 >>> #compression). However, the feature is rather new, I did not use it so
10 >>> far.
11 >> https://forum.restic.net/t/compression-support-has-landed-in-master/4997
12 >>
13 >> Just adding another link to the official announcement from earlier this
14 >> year.
17 >> cu
18 >> Gerrit
19 > I think In Dale's use case compression is a solution seeking to address the
20 > problem of not enough storage space for backups, but it only makes sense if
21 > the data can be effectively and efficiently compressed. He mentioned 99.99%
22 > of his backup data is video. Video files are not particularly compressible,
23 > although small space savings can be achieved. For example using basic enough
24 > zst parameters '-19 --rsyncable -z' I got just a 1.6% file reduction:
25 >
26 > Frames Skips Compressed Uncompressed Ratio Check
27 > 1 0 88.9 MiB 90.3 MiB 1.016 XXH64
28 >
29 > Even if compression delivers some small space saving, given Dale's new faster
30 > Internet link and local video storage tendencies, compression will only kick
31 > the can down the road. If these are not private or rare videos and remain
32 > available on public streaming platforms, perhaps local storage is no longer
33 > necessary?
36 This is correct.  My main reason for compression was to squeeze a little
37 more mustard in the jar.  I just did a test on a dozen or so videos.
38 Uncompressed the videos was 214,931,665.  Compressed it is 200,878,554.
39 It's a little saved but other videos may not compress that much.  Just
40 depends.  Even with that little savings, compression really isn't much
41 of a solution especially since I do not want any loss in data.
42
43 Given my weird way of doing backups, rsync may be the best option.
44 Plus, easier to restore from as well since it just requires a copy
45 command, any of them will do.
46
47 Looks like bigger hard drives is the best idea for now.  I really need a
48 proper backup plan tho.  I just wish a NAS would fit in my fire safe.  ;-)
49
50 Dale
51