From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Upgrading gcc: both 4.4 and 4.5 needed?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 01:09:12
1 On Nov 16, 2011 8:00 AM, "Nikos Chantziaras" <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 11/15/2011 08:58 PM, Jarry wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Hi,
6 >> today I upgraded gcc from 4.4.5 to the last stable version
7 >> 4.5.3-r1.
8 >> [...]
9 >>
10 >> But at the and I noticed gcc 4.4 has not been unmerged
11 >> and my "world" file is somehow larger. To my surprise,
12 >> it contains these lines:
13 >>
14 >> sys-devel/gcc
15 >> sys-devel/gcc:4.4
16 >>
17 >> I did full backup before, so I compared world-file before
18 >> and after gcc-upgrade just to find out, these two lines
19 >> have been really inserted now, during gcc-upgrade. And my
20 >> question is: what does it mean? Does my system need now
21 >> both gcc 4.4 and 4.5? Why is actually gcc in world-file,
22 >> when it is part of system?
25 > The old GCC version does not get removed. This is a good thing just in
26 case the new one doesn't work for some reason.
27 >
28 > If it works OK, you can manually unmerge the old version:
29 >
30 > emerge -aC gcc:4.4
31 >
32 > Before doing that, however, make sure the new one has been activated with
33 gcc-config and verify that it works by building some random package.
36 And if you're adventurous, add USE "graphite", reemerge gcc, and reemerge
37 world :)
38
39 Rgds,