From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: pvcreate won't create pv
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 01:28:58
1 On 06/29/2012 03:05 PM, felix@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 05:56:58PM -0400, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
3 >>
4 >> felix@×××××××.com wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Got my two 4TB drives installed. Now I need to get stuff off /dev/hda
7 >>> so I can turn it into an LVM volumne. So I copied everything there to
8 >>> the the 7.3TB LVM filesystem, then tried to create a new pv on
9 >>> /dev/hda1. No joy. I get
10 >>>
11 >>> Device /dev/hda1 not found (or ignored by filtering).
12 >>>
13 >>> /dev/hda has only /dev/hda1 which takes all the space. The partition
14 >>> type is 8e, Linux LVM. It's not mounted. I tried pvcreate -f. I
15 >>> tried dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda1 count=1. What is pvcreate really
16 >>> complaining about?
17 >> How come its hda? Perhaps this is the problem, it certainly should be
18 >> fixed anyway.
19 >
20 > Because it was set up that way 8 years ago. /dev/hda is the only IDE
21 > drive in the system, and has the MBR, so I can't make /dev/hda an LVM
22 > volume, it has to be /dev/hda1. I don't want to make some other drive
23 > the boot drive; they are LVM volumes also. And I also want an hd(0,x)
24 > for grub which doesn't change as I add new drives.
25 >
26 > Besides all that, why do you think it's a problem and how do you
27 > propose fixing it?
28
29 I can't speak for John, obviously, but /dev/hdxx is typical for the
30 deprecated kernel drivers. The newer drivers use /dev/sdxx