From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CFLAGS setting for Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.73GHZ stepping 08
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 09:00:58
1 Richard Watson wrote:
2
3 >I've just got a new laptop I'm installing Gentoo on and was wondering if
4 >anyone could advise on the CFLAG setting I'm using. The CPU is a
5 >Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.73GHZ stepping 08. Currently I've set
6 >CFLAGS="-02 -mcpu=pentium -pipe"
10 With a 2.13Ghz pentium-m, I am using:
11 CFLAGS="-march=pentium-m -Os -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
12
13 I recommend using either -Os or -O3 with the pentium-m. In my
14 experience, -Os and -O3 provide slightly better overall performance than
15 -O2, although I should mention a few things will probably run slower.
16 As far as mmx, sse, and the like, I'd say enable those through USE flags
17 for those packages that support them.
18
19 Also, be sure you are using the latest version (3.4.4) of gcc by running
20 "gcc-config -l".
21
22 -Richard
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list