From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Making XEN functional
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 12:36:23
1 On Sunday, March 23, 2014 05:47:53 PM Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
2 > I'm not meaning to hijack this thread, but isn't KVM a better option? The
3 > difference between Xen and KVM is tiny I think, no?
4
5 Yes and no:
6
7 If you simpy look at the basics, like running virtual machines, then KVM is a
8 valid option.
9
10 But, if you are running VMs to test stuff, you want to take valid snapshots of
11 the current status.
12 That means disk AND memory.
13
14 I have not been able to find any information on how to make a snapshot of the
15 memory used by a VM running under KVM. If there is a method, please point me
16 in the right direction.
17
18 With Xen, it's really easy to do:
19 # xl save <Domain> <FileWhereMemoryIsSaved>
20 -- make a snapshot of the disk(s),
21 -- either by copying the file or using LVM snapshots
22 # xl restore <FileWhereMemoryIsSaved>
23
24 Or using any of the front-ends. XCP has it all built-in and allows usage of
25 the Citrix client tool.
28 Joost