From: Ryan Tandy <tarpman@×××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Tulip driver problems; eth0 does not exist..."netmount" was not started...
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 01:29:04
1 Steven G Wagner wrote:
2 >> Are you sure it's the tulip.o driver you want,
3 >
4 > I'm pretty sure that's the one I need based on posts I've found by others
5 > who are using the same card/chipset. If I could be sure it was loading and
6 > eth0 was still not working I would assess that I need a different driver.
7 > However, I don't believe I've been able to get the tulip driver loaded yet.
8 >
9 >> You said that autoloading failed - can you paste the *exact* error
10 >> message? What happens if you try 'modprobe tulip' by hand, as root?
11 >
12 > Okay, I went back into menuconfig and enabled tulip family network device
13 > support. Then I enabled the second dec... selection as a module and <*>
14 > before each of the subheadings under this selection. Everything else in the
15 > list of tulip family drivers is unselected. I added tulip to my
16 > /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 file.
17 >
18 > On reboot,
20 > Failed to load tulip...
21 >
22 > As root, modprobe tulip:
23 > FATAL: module tulip not found
24
25 OK... what's the output from "make modules && make modules_install"?
26 (when in /usr/src/linux) What does "modprobe tulip" return if you run
27 it *immediately* after "make modules && make modules_install" - i.e.
28 without rebooting first?
29
30 According to Google, your card has the same chipset as mine, so the
31 options I posted should work. If you're still having trouble, I can
32 post the relevant part of my .config.
33
34 Speaking of chipsets - what does 'lspci' (sys-apps/pciutils) say about
35 the card?
36
37 Ryan
38 --