From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is the best way forward? - Update 2 - SUCCESS! - CURRENT!!!
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2021 00:35:44
1 On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 16:44:35 -0700, Grant Taylor wrote:
2
3 > > It means you probably spent a lot of time compile gcc versions only
4 > > to carry on using the old version, but as you said, this wasn't about
5 > > efficiency.
6 >
7 > Wouldn't the next execution of gcc, post Emerge & Installation use the
8 > newly emerged binary?
9 >
10 > If not next package in a given emerge run didn't use the new gcc, I
11 > would fully expect that subsequent emerges would use the new gcc.
12
13 Not if you went up a slot, then the old version would still continue to
14 be used until you ran gcc-config. However, if you were depcleaning at each
15 step, that would remove the previous slot and you would stay current.
16
17 I tend to keep old copies of gcc around until I'm sure things play nicely
18 with the new version:
19
20 % gcc-config -l
21 [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-9.3.0
22 [2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-10.2.0 *
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 Psychiatrists say that 1 of 4 people are mentally ill.
29 Check three friends. If they're OK, you're it.